Over 13,000 affected so far by Bulusan activity – DSWD
November 18, 2010
Posted by on
At least 13,561 people or 2,712 families had been affected by the activity of restive Bulusan Volcano in Bicol, the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) said Wednesday night.
The DSWD said it continues to closely monitor areas that may be affected by possible lahar flow from Bulusan, which started spewing ash last November 6.
“As of 11 p.m. (of November 16), the number of affected families remained at 2,712 with 13,561 persons coming from the municipalities of Casiguran, Juban and Irosin in Sorsogon. Eighteen barangays in the three municipalities were placed under watch due to ashfall and lahar flow,” the DSWD said in its website.
It said residents were advised not to venture inside the volcano’s four-kilometer Permanent Danger Zone.
The DSWD said there are five remaining evacuation centers providing temporary shelter to 62 families or 284 people.
According to the DSWD, these people would only come to the evacuation centers at night, and return to their homes during the day for their livelihood.
In Juban town, the three evacuation centers are located in Aniog Day Care Center, Puting Sapa Barangay Hall and Puting Sapa Health Center. In Casiguran, two evacuation centers were set up in Escuala Health Center School and Escuala Chapel.
The DSWD said its Quick Response Team (QRT) and Social Welfare and Development (SWAD) teams continue to assist affected local government units in disaster operations.
Also, the DSWD’s Disaster Response Operations Monitoring and Information Center (DROMIC) is closely working with DSWD Field Office V to address concerns. – KBK, GMANews.TV